Monday, January 16, 2012

artistic Inspiration, Assignment #2

Last quarter I wrote a post about my ceramic arts inspirations.  I was a bit flippant as I said I was inspired by 12th century Japanese potters who I know nothing about, but who, as an ideal, give me a zen entrance to ancient, traditional, and emotiona.  After writing that post I realized it is actually hard to post as inspiration something I know nothing about, so I have been studying a book titled "Imari" which is an Oriental pottery ideal, based on porcelain clays, cobolt blue designs, often with embellishment, and intricate surface painting.    While this is an amazing pottery era, it was the earlier, possibly Korean peasant ware that had really captured my imiganation.  

(photo by J. N. Miles)

The basis of all of my work is to replicate the sound of the wind on open arid ridges, a sound that is indescribable in words and is best heard when you are not listening to it, trying to blow you hat off, or freezing your finger tips.  This photo, of Jumofff ridge in the fall, captures a bit of the gesture of sparse, ancient landscapes and open air under a sky of blue and gray. 

Late last quarter I was looking through the YVCC library trying to find another book on Oriental ceramics when I stumbled across a picture book of the pottery of ancient Casas Grandes, MX.  These are the polychrome (black line on white background with red shapes) that came out of Northern Mexico, starting around 100 and extending almost to 1500ad.  The next pot would be, developmentally, a pre-polychrome pot. 

This is a pot that I showed at Oak Hollow Gallery last fall.  It is large, smoke fired jar, typical of seed jars of ancient Mexico. 


This piece I picked up at an antique display in Yakima.  It was marked down several times and did not appear to be attracting much attention.  It is undoubtly the oldest piece of ceramics I own. It is typical of early polychrome.  The faint pattern inside the bowl is a fish skeleton.  I would not be able to even guess where it came from


Another old Mexican Plate was given to me by an antique dealer in Houston.  Guessing, I would say it was made around 1935.  Sorry for the poor photo but you get the idea:  a native plate with some sophistication, black slip and painted scene over the top with colored slips.  I am reltively sure the shiny surface glaze is a lead base. 


The next piece is a traditional style mexican coffee cup.  These were common in markets in Mexico when I went to school at the University of GTO in 1969 but they are getting harder and  harder to find. 


This cup above (again, a poor photo) shows the traditional mexican earthenware cups produced between 1900 and 1980.  These cups were funky, hastily constructed, and very functional and personal.  

Finally, a more sophisticated earthenware jar I made at YVCC with red slip covering, one color closer to polychrome.



And so, my inspiration comes from the Yakima bare lands setting but finds expression in kitchen ware that captures the sparse essence of solitude.  From Imari to Polychrome, to the antique Mexican ware that  surfaces from time to time in Yakima.  I hope to pursue all of these influences over winter 1/4 in Ceramics 199.  I want to continue to explore porcelain/high fire and contrast that to earthenware approaches.  I plan to do more Raku and some smoke firing and I hope to create several pieces that are suitable for the "Mighty Tieton" show in early summer.  Wish me luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment